Sunday, March 31, 2013

March In Review

Inspired by my favorite author, who coincidentally wrote a book about music that I'll later be writing about I thought I would do a kind of month in review post on the last day of each month with a list of the top 10 bands I've listened to that month, all the CD's I've bought, all the concerts I attended, all the new concert tickets I've bought and a little bit about each of them.


Top 10 Bands Listened This Month:
  1. Our Lady Peace
  2. Bloc Party
  3. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
  4. The Fray
  5. Of Monsters and Men
  6. Wakey!Wakey!
  7. Stone Sour
  8. Stray's Don't Sleep
  9. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
  10. Nine Inch Nails
What I listen to mostly occurs at work so what you see here is a mix of me trying to get lost inside my head during work, like with Our Lady Peace, and me just listening to something I enjoy that I don't really have to pay attention to like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.  This is also a reflection of some bands I am getting into again after being mostly a casual listener like Nine Inch Nails and Stone Sour, the latter of which I have tickets to and the former of which I hope goes on tour nearby this year.  Although I do have tickets to see Trent Reznor's other band.


New CD's Bought:
Passion Pit - Gossamer
Stone Stour - Audio Secrecy
Stone Sour - Stone Sour
Stone Sour - Come What(Ever) May
Stone Sour - House of Gold and Bones Part 1
Sigur Rós - ( )
Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal
Nine Inch Nails - Further Down the Spiral
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
The Black Keys - Magic Potion
How to destroy angels - Welcome Oblivion
Sound City - Real to Reel
Johnny Cash - American Recordings
Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man

Of this list, only two of them are fairly new releases, How to destroy angels and Sound City.  They were both released this month and are both quite amazing and effectively supergroup albums, especially the latter which is actually supergroups.  There will be reviews and analysis of both those albums coming eventually.


Concerts Attended:
Dropkick Murphy's at 9:30 Club
Finch at Fillmore Silver Spring
Shamrockfest at RFK Stadium
Sigur Rós at The Patriot Center

The best show I attended in March was Sigur Rós and the worst was Shamrockfest, I don't say anymore for now because I'll eventually write about them later.


Concert Tickets Bought:
Glen Hansard
Metric
Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson
Get the Led Out
O.A.R.
Sara Bareilles
Social Distortion
Sigur Rós
Stone Sour
Eagles
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Mayhem Festival
Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers
Pat Benatar, Cheap Trick
Josh Groban
John Mayer
Ryan Bingham

As far as concerts go, I picked up tickets for 17 shows this month.  There are a few that I think will be fun like Social Distortion, Ryan Bingham and the Alice Cooper/Marilyn Manson show.  On the other hand there are some shows that I am really excited for like Stone Sour in April and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in May.  The latter is in Manhattan at a theater so it should be a real treat and the tickets sold out instantly.


Concerts of April:
Stone Sour at Fillmore Silver Spring on April 11
Andrew McMahon at 9:30 Club on April 15
Rhett Miller at The Hamilton on April 18
What's Eating Gilbert at Jammin' Java on April 23
Sara Bareilles at 9:30 Club on April 25
How to destroy angels at Fillmore Silver Spring on April 30

No comments:

Post a Comment