Sunday, March 17, 2013

January 5, 2013: Tyler Hilton

So this is the first of my posts where I will mix between reviewing the concerts I've been to this year and the concerts that I've been to before this year eventually reviewing every concert I've attended.  I would imagine the setup of this blog will change over time but for now I'll start each blog with the review of the concert I went to with a bit on the other artists present as well as the setlist if I have it with a highlight of the best songs.

Show Details:

Artists: Tyler Hilton, Teddy Geiger, Ryan Cabrera, and Rebecca Perl
Location: The Hamilton, Washington, DC





Setlist:
1. Sunset Blvd
2. Kicking My Heels
3. Jenny
4. Missing You (John Waite Cover)
5. Can't Stop Now
6. California
7. Ignition Remix (with Teddy Geiger, R. Kelly cover)
8. Ain't No Fooling Me
9. Loaded Gun


Tyler Hilton is a singer-songwriter who has kind of a folk or indie style.  I know who he is because I used to watch One Tree Hill.  I figured I should get that out of the way early on.  I watched One Tree Hill when it originally aired and still watch it, a lot of the music on this that I listen to I only heard about because of that show, and I am working on espousing the personal view of my musical hero that you shouldn't treat anything as a guilty pleasure, although he was talking about music but I think it applies, so there we are.

So let's start with the other artists.  The opener for the show was a very beautiful girl named Rebecca Perl, whose song Before I Fall I really enjoyed.  I bought her EP and met her, she was very nice and have listened the EP a few times and I hope she comes around again cause I'd see her as an opener or if she had her own show.

Teddy Geiger played second, I knew a little about him but I really enjoyed his performance.  I really like singer-songwriters, I think part of it is that their music often appears simple but I think there is a lot of depth there and when they perform, it's often just them and a guitar, or them and maybe another musician helping out so they have to be good at what they are doing because there is nothing there to distract or hide if they don't know what they are doing.  Overall I really enjoyed Teddy Geiger, and like Rebecca Perl I think I'd consider seeing him again.

Ryan Cabrera played last, but for want of personal symmetry I'll review his show before Tyler Hilton.  Ryan Cabrera had a decent show, although I found him to be the weakest of the three.  I think he's been around a little bit longer and there was just something lacking in his performance, or perhaps I was just distracted by the screaming girls in the front tables who were quite over the top.  The highlight of his show was his cover of The Tiger song from The Hangover.  Of the four he's the only one I wouldn't go see again on his own.

Tyler Hilton was the best of the performers there.  He talked just enough to keep the crowd entertained, acknowledged that many people were there because they knew him from One Tree Hill.  I think part of his love for that, and I say that because he basically said that, is because he was able to cover John Waite's song Missing You which was definitely his best song.  Being part of a small show like this with four artists his set list was only nine songs.  Teddy Geiger came out for a cover of Ignition (Remix) by R. Kelly with him which was fun, but changed the dynamic of the show.  Afterwards he went over to the merch table and took time to sign stuff for people and meet everyone.  I enjoyed meeting him and got him to sign a poster with a quote from the final episode of One Tree Hill which was cool.  I feel like it would be easy to maybe hate that he was in that and be bothered by people knowing him for it, but I felt like he enjoyed that because it opened up his fan base.  Overall, I would without question go and see him again and hope he tours again soon.


Current Concert List:
  1. Tyler Hilton at the Hamilton on January 5
  2. Yellowcard at the 930 Club on January 11
  3. Bloc Party at Ram's Head Live on January 12
  4. Rhett Miller at Jammin' Java on January 18
  5. The Lumineers at DAR Constitution Hall on January 30
  6. Reel Big Fish at Ram's Head Live on February 1
  7. Wakey!Wakey! at Jammin' Java on February 2
  8. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals at Ram's Head Live on February 4
  9. Coheed and Cambria at 930 Club on February 5
  10. Dropkick Murphys at 930 Club on March 10
  11. Finch at Fillmore Silver Spring on March 14
  12. Shamrockfest at RFK Stadium on March 16
  13. Sigur Ros at Patrior Center on March 24
  14. Stone Sour at Fillmore Silver Spring on April 11
  15. Andrew McMahon at 930 Club on April 15
  16. Rhett Miller at the Hamilton on April 18
  17. What's Eating Gilbert at Jammin' Java on April 23
  18. How to Destroy Angels at Fillmore Silver Spring on April 30
  19. DC 101 Chili Cook-Off at RFK Stadium on May 4
  20. Sweetlife Festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion on May 11
  21. Radio 104.5's Birthday Show at Susquehanna Bank Center on May 12
  22. Alkaline Trio at Ram's Head Live on May 17
  23. Paramore at Fillmore Silver Spring on May 18
  24. Metric at Rams Head Live on June 7
  25. Of Monsters and Men at Merriweather Post Pavilion on June 11
  26. Glen Hansard at 930 Club on June 16
  27. Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, and Gwar at Merriweather Post Pavilion on June 17
  28. Postal Service at Merriweather Post Pavilion on June 18
  29. Get the Led Out at Ram's Head Live on June 22
  30. Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers at Wolf Trap on June 24
  31. She+Him at Wolf Trap on July 11
  32. Fun. at Merriweather Post Pavilion on July 20
  33. The Lumineers at Merriweather Post Pavilion on July 26
  34. OAR at Merriweather Post Pavilion on August 1
  35. Jay-Z/Justin Timberlake at M+T Bank Stadium on August 8
  36. Huey Lewis and the News at Wolf Trap on August 13
  37. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals at Wolf Trap on August 13
  38. Josh Groban at Wolf Trap on August 16
  39. Hot August Blues at Oregon Ridge Park on August 17
  40. Pat Benatar and Cheap Trick at Wolf Trap on August 20
  41. Colin Hay at Birchmere on October 5

No comments:

Post a Comment