Sunday, December 15, 2013

June 17, 2013: Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, and Gwar


Concert Details:

Bands: Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Gwar
Location: Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD

Alice Cooper
  1. Hello Hooray (Judy Collins cover)
  2. House of Fire
  3. No More Mr. Nice Guy
  4. Billion Dollar Babies
  5. I'll Bite Your Face Off
  6. Is it My Body
  7. Under My Wheels
  8. Hey Stoopid
  9. Poison
  10. Dirty Diamonds
  11. Welcome to My Nightmare
  12. Go to Hell
  13. Feed My Frankenstein
  14. Ballad of Dwight Fry
  15. Killer
  16. I Love the Dead
  17. School's Out (with Pink Floyd Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 Excerpt)
Encore:
   18. I'm Eighteen (with Marilyn Manson)


Marilyn Manson:
  1. Angel With the Scabbed Wings
  2. Disposable Teens
  3. No Reflection
  4. The Dope Show (Happiness is a Warm Gun intro)
  5. Rock is Dead
  6. Coma White
  7. Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode)
  8. Prelude (The Family Trip)
  9. mOBSCENE
  10. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (Eurythmics Cover)
  11. This is the New Shit
  12. Antichrist Superstar
  13. The Beautiful People
This was quite the interesting lineup and on the outlook looked like the perfect marrying of three bands who use theatrics to enhance their show.  What we ended up with was a band that uses theatrics as their show, and wonderfully, an artist who used theatrics to carry his show, and an artist who perfectly married theatrics with his music to appear still at the top of his game over 40 years into his career.

Gwar is the band from outer space who appear as aliens who have come to rock us and fight their enemies.  They wear extensive prosthetics, stay in character throughout the entire show, and spew blood and other bodily fluids in the form of what I would imagine is corn syrup all over the audience.  They are not a musically driven band, and that's fine because they aren't trying to be.  Throughout the show they fought with various things on stage and used a sword and buzz saw in decapitation.  Overall they put on a supremely fun show although I'm not entirely sure if I'd see them again, but with a big group I might go see them dressed in a full white outfit and stand in the very front of the audience.

I was expecting a lot out of Marilyn Manson and was sorely disappointed.  I know that he is known for his theatrics but he is also known for his music, the two should go hand in hand.  The theatrics for his show were rather entertaining, but unfortunately, the music itself was not good and to me at least, it felt like he had been phoning it in.  One of my companions described it best as Marilyn Manson being in his "Fat Elvis" stage.  Upon immediate completion of the show it didn't seems as bad as I thought, but in the light of what his show could have been when comparing it to that of Alice Cooper's, it really did feel off.  There were good parts to his show, but overall I was disappointed.

Alice Cooper's performance was a polar opposite of Marilyn Manson.  I went into his show expecting and knowing virtually nothing about him and not knowing a large amount of his music, but I found myself rather blown away by the performance.  The shows was full of theatrics: he was put into a straight jacket and escaped in an attempt to murder a nurse, was guillotined and then came back, randomly carried around a snake and many other antics I cannot even remember at this point.  But the stark contrast between his show and the one before his was that the theatrics of the show enhanced the overall show instead of carrying it. One of my personal favorite moments of the show was towards the end when band introduction were performed, as he got to the end he stood towards the front of the stage and as he finished off the crowd and with a fervor on his face stated almost devilishly "And tonight, playing the part of Alice Cooper, me!".  It was quite a beautiful moment.  The encore was quite wonderful as well, and perhaps the best moment from either Marilyn Manson or Alice Cooper when they joined together on stage to close out the show with Cooper's  I'm Eighteen.  

Overall I would say it was quite a successful show but I do wish Marilyn Manson had been more enjoyable for me, but I'd definitely consider seeing Alice Cooper again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment