Friday, July 5, 2013

April 11, 2013: Stone Sour


Concert Details:
Bands: Dropkick Murphy's, Barroom Heroes
Location: 930 Club, Washington, DC


Setlist:
  1. Gone Sovereign
  2. Absolute Zero
  3. Mission Statement
  4. Hell & Consequences
  5. Made of Scars
  6. A Rumor of Skin
  7. Reborn
  8. Do Me a Favor
  9. RU486
  10. Say You'll Haunt Me
  11. Bother (with intro of Alice in Chains' Nutshell)
  12. Through Glass
  13. The Travelers, Pt. 2
  14. Last of the Real
  15. 30/30-150

Stone Sour is a band that has been around for quite a while but was never really on my radar until this year.  The only reason I started listening to them was seeing that they were gonna be playing near by me so I picked up all of their albums and found a lot of stuff that I really enjoyed.

Before the band came out the crowd began chanting "Corey Corey Corey".  I learned very early on in the show that the cult of Corey Taylor is huge, which was both beneficial and detrimental to the show.  I will say first off that while the show was a really fun, it felt really mechanical as the setlist for every single show on this tour was identical with no room for the band to throw something special in.

The show opened strong with Gone Sovereign and proceeded moving back and forth fluidly between various Stone Sour albums.   The first part of the show was loud and fast culminating with one of my Stone Sour songs, RU486.  After that it moved into the slightly slower Say You'll Haunt Me before the band left the stage leaving Corey Taylor alone to play the haunting Bother featuring an intro of Alice in Chain's Nutshell.  For everything else of the show and how fun it was or how much the crowd got on my nerves, that song was unbelievable.  There is such a feeling of pain that Corey Taylor brings to the stage, a feeling of pain for yesterday and the pain caused by the fear for tomorrow.

From there, they moved onto another slow song Through Glass before ending the show fast and loud.  I would say it was a great overall show, there were just a few things that bothered me about it.  Corey Taylor is clearly very aware of his cult like status and would hold his hands out beckoning the crowd to continue to do so.  That being said, even with the bit of mechanical feel to the show, Stone Sour knows how to put on a fun, loud and energetic show that I came away from wanting to see them again as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment