Saturday, January 25, 2014

June 26, 2013: Joseph Arthur

Concert Details:

Bands: Joseph Arthur, Rene Lopez
Location: Ram's Head On Stage, Annapolis, MD



  1. Currency of Love
  2. Saint of Impossible Causes
  3. The Ballad of Boogie Christ
  4. I Used to Know How to Walk on Water
  5. Wait for Your Lights
  6. I Miss the Zoo
  7. It's Ok to Be Young/Gone
  8. Still Life Honey Rose
  9. Black Flowers
  10. King of Cleveland
  11. Famous Friends Along the Coast
  12. All the Old Heroes



Joseph Arthur is a musician that I have followed for quite a long time and while I really loved his album going into this show, I'm a huge fan of his early stuff, especially that of his first album.  For this show he only played one song not on his new album and started the show by playing his most recent album at the time straight through.  For someone that has been listening to him for nearly ten years, you would think this might be a let down, but it was anything but.


For a man that puts on a very minimalist show, just a bassist and a percussionist to join him on stage, Joseph Arthur can command the stage and put on a great show.  As a song-writer and poet he's got a quick wit who provides humorous commentary and jokes between and during songs.


He moved swiftly at a comfortable speed through each song adding guitar flourishes and solos were he saw fit.  The high point for me was the acoustic version of a song from his previous album that was released on the most recent album I Miss the Zoo a song that is a poem roughly sung/spoken to music, and something that I honestly wonder how long it took him to memorize.  It was sung beautifully with tremendously evoked emotions.


For a show that played none of the songs I was really hoping for, I did not walk away from this show wanting anything, the man is just as talented live as he is on his albums and I will attend his shows over and over in any capacity.  After the show he came out and talked to any fans who wished to stay and took time to not only sign things but also draw on them.  It was a good end to a great night.




No comments:

Post a Comment